Sunday, October 30, 2011

An Unexpected Suprise

True Rock Music is raw, gritty, and powerful.  It is something that very few bands' sound can achieve.  It is something that our band, Humble Everest, is attempting. 

The other day during practice we were trying our very hardest to make things sound the very best they could.  Will Fulmer was on guitar, Jake Buhler was singing, Matt O'Donnel was on drums, and yours truly was on bass.  We were playing the songs over and over in an attempt to pound perfection into our brains and nail every note, rest, and harmonic. 

After a couple long hours of rocking out, as young men normally do, we got ravenous.  We were starving for sustenance.  After debating on where to go get food, we ultimately decided on getting two Little Caesars pizzas.  We drove on over, picked up some pizzas, then went back to our practice area.  As I was about to dive into some cheap and tasty pizza, Will interjected.

"How about we say a blessing on the food and dig in?"  Perhaps it's just me, but when I think of four aspiring rockers, drooling over Hot n' Ready pizza, one of the last things that comes to my mind is prayer.  I was certainly surprised.  We all agreed that it would be best that we said a prayer.  We all stood around awkwardly for only a moment before Jake volunteered to pray. 

I don't know why I continually underestimate the spirituality of others, but the prayer that Jake gave was inspiring to me.  I'm not going to go into what the prayer said, but it really got me thinking about who I was associating myself with and how lucky I am to have such great uplifting friends.  Through all the distractions of the world, we didn't forget to thank our Heavenly Father for all that he has done for us. 

“Get on your knees and pray, then get on your feet and work.”
Gordon B. Hinckley
This quote came to my mind as I was later thinking back on the situation.  Sure, we didn't sound perfect, but we worked the hardest that we could.  I could feel the spirit as we practiced.  It was strange, but in a good way.  I've never mixed Rock, and the spirit of the lord.  I like it though.  I'm going to have to make an attempt to make sure it is always there when we play. 

I can't give my friends enough credit for who I am today.  Without them I don't know where I would be, who I would be, or what I would be doing.  Though I'm not where I wanted to be a couple years ago, I'm pretty happy with where I am now.  My friends are a wonderful example to me and I pray with all my heart that I can continually grow to be a better person along with them.

For those of you who made it all the way through this post, good job, you're probably bored now though.  So go watch funny videos on Youtube, Freddie Wong has some pretty good ones. I like them at least...!

Here is a link to my band's page on Facebook,
Humble Everest

No comments:

Post a Comment